Maps I plan to fix (feel free to suggest)

Got a new map? Post it here!
Shadow Sheep

Maps I plan to fix (feel free to suggest)

Post by Shadow Sheep » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:54 pm

I am doing this post to tell the community what maps I plan to fix using hammer.

Feel free to suggest other broken maps that I could fix as well. In some cases, a map can be fixed using Stripper (a server plugin placing and changing entities inside the map without changing the map file), but when it comes to changing the layout of the level or the solid walls, it has to be done in hammer (the reason I am fixing the one listed below). It is also generaly easier and cleaner to do using hammer.

Here is the list I currently follow in this order:

surf_kitsune
DONE
Spoiler
I always considered it as an amazing map for beginners to learn on, but it got removed from the server at some point because of unknown reasons. So I asked tordana what was wrong with it and fixed it accordingly so other players can enjoy it.
surf_royal DONE
Spoiler
NastyButler ported it, and said he was not happy about it. He has good reasons though. First, he did not really want to do it, so he rushed it because of the pressure he had to manage. Then the map itself was not really playable properly due to the slanted bhops not being consistent, the lack of resizing and also the glitchy ramps. Since aparently no one thought about removing it yet, I thought that the only way out of this was to actually fix it so its at least enjoyable to play. And I think I didn't do too bad at reaching that goal actually in my opinion.
surf_crzyfrog DONE
Spoiler
The porter of the map did set a stage 1 start trigger at the left start of stage 2. Since it had to be fixed using stripper, sometimes it would actually break and allow people to start and finsih the first stage at the same time, and so exploit the map in general. I also was a bit annoyed by the fact that you get teleported by the air above the ground without having any clue where the triggers are. The map could probably have been fixed using stripper, but since aparently it was the thing supposed to have the map fixed and it was still exploitable, i thought that a hammer would no actually cause harm. Plus it allowed to me fix the concrete textures and the starting camera in spectator, so I think that overall it was worth it.
surf_coralis DONE
Spoiler
Can't keep the speed on the bhop because of the bhop plugin ran in tf2 and the extremely high ground friction stealing all your speed when you land. Plus the bonus 1 felt unresized properly, and the concrete textures were wrong. A hammer new port was needed in that case in my opinion.
surf_funhouse DONE
Spoiler
Moving objects in map do not give equal chances to all the attempts the player make, meaning that as a speedrunner you have to rely on luck for your fastest trajectories to not be obstructed by an object. The map is 9 years old (probably one of the oldest maps on this server) and was clearly not meant at that time to be run on a skillsurf timed server. In this surf mode, the way you complete the map matters, unlike in deathmatch surfing (the map has a jail) where the goal is just to reach the end, not to do it faster. The map could have been edited using stripper, but I was really tired to wait for it to actually be because each day people were suffering on that map an were trying their best to get it not played because of how not fun it was to them. I wanted this to change by making the map compatible with what makes skillsurfing enjoyable by removing the inconsistent things from it.
surf_halloween_njv DONE
Spoiler
The triggers are too high for a skillsurfing map and the textures of some glass windows were missing inside the map pack. So I decided to go ahead and make the map better for our servers.
surf_acerbus DONE
Spoiler
The doors at the end of the stage were crashing the players. So I just repalced them with the counter strike source ones and it worked.
surf_fruits DONE
Spoiler
Suspicious resizing, rotating objects, broken boosts, inconsistent slanted bhops...This map had to be fixed at some point.
surf_apollonian DONE
Spoiler
The last stage doors not working and the last jump being too hard along with missing playerclips gave away the fact that this port could have been improved. After working on it, I at the end fixed the slanted bhops, got the reflection to display like in the original map and resized the whole map properly so it deserves its tier 4 mark.
surf_sh DONE
Spoiler
The boost based bhops are barely working, making 3 out of the 4 stages not enjoyable at all to play. I also spotted some concrete textures showing the tf2 concrete instead of the default ones because of matching names, so I might aswell fix all of that.

List of things to do (I may also spot more things to do as I go through the port):
  • Resize the map *DONE*
  • fix the concrete textures *DONE*
  • fix the func_rotating objects *DONE*
  • Detail all the objects that need to be in order to optimize visibility step of compile*DONE*
  • Fix the slanted bhops *DONE
  • fix the boosts*DONE*
  • [specialo] Put the end of last stage after the end door, not on the platform. *REVERTED* (the stairs at the end are random and people would desperately grind for a good bhop inside them, which is ridiculous and frustrating when trying to beat a map run that used that trick. The end will be placed like before.)
surf_rookie DONE
Spoiler
Things wrong i spotted so far:
  • Missing fail cages at the start of each stage allowing players to telehop through stages.
Worked accomplished on the map:
  • Ported the map from the counter strike source map file.
  • Resized the map porperly for the team fortress 2 player model proportions.
  • Kept the failing cage at the start of each stage. You can no more telehop in this map (exactly what it was supposed to be in the first place).
  • Removed some prop hopping spots due to the crates setup at the start of the stages
  • Changed the boost on the first ramp of stage 9 and stage 10 so you no more can crouch boost them. You will have to go through them backward first in order to use them an other time.
  • Fixed the waterfall sound not playing.
  • Fixed the spawn camera no working in spectator team.
  • Kept in the map the original ending being in a cage inside spawn with a button inside.
  • Improved the texture alignement on some ramps.
  • Implemented the Resurfed timer triggers for all the stages.
  • Removed the fall damage noise from the map.
surf_blackout_njv DONE
Spoiler
Things wrong I spotted so far (God Damnit Nappa is okay with me fixing this map at some point):
  • The triggers are too high for a skillsurf context
  • There is a Hall Of Mirror that appears before the first checkpoint, probably caused by a func_areaportal not placed perfectly at that place.
Things I fixed in the map:
  • Fixed the first spin area showing a Hall of Mirrors effect for a split second.
  • Lowered the trigger_teleport heights in order for the players to not be teleported when flying over edges.
  • Improved the reflections throughout the map.
  • Reduced the area rendered through the map by using hint/skip brushes at some places.
  • Players no more can get stuck in the start when getting teleported to spawn.
  • Made the buttons at the end shootable.
surf_eclipse DONE
Spoiler
Things wrong I spotted so far:
  • Presence of several trigger bypass exploit due to an unoptimal way of placing them and also due to the god mode plugin.
  • The counter strike source version of this map show reflections on the surface of them while the team fortress 2 one does not.
  • Not being able to see where some triggers stop in the air makes speedrunning the map painful and the skybox does not enough information on the player's position in the air
Work acomplished so far:
  • Changed the telehop destination of stage1 to a stopped one at the top of the two spawns.
  • Removed the shortcuts on stage 2 and stage 3. You need to go through all the squares with lasers if you want to complete the stage. I am not sure about keeping them, since it is the way you are supposed to do the map anyway. But I guess I'll keep them as a debug for this test version.
  • Added some lasers in order to higlight some critical trigger_teleport placement in the map.
  • Going through the "J" door at the end actually teleports you to the jail now.
  • Built the cubemaps in order to have reflections in the map.
final version:
  • Changed the telehop destination of stage1 to a stopped one at the top of the two spawns.
  • Removed the shortcuts on stage 2 and stage 3 except the ones that people said they were more fun to play with.
  • Added some lasers in order to higlight some critical trigger_teleport placement in the map.
  • Going through the "J" door at the end actually teleports you to the jail now.
  • Built the cubemaps in order to have reflections in the map.
surf_lt_omnific_rc1 DONE
Spoiler
List of things to do (I may also spot more things to do as I go through the port):
  • s10 boost being too strong, fixing it using stripper on the server somehow multiplied by like 10 the values of all the other boosts of the map, making some parts unnecessarly easier than they should be
  • bonus 1 has slanted bhops that are furstrating to play with
  • stage 18 headchecks seem not resized properly
  • the ending scene rotating objects don't seem to spin smoothly
  • missing models at the fail zone of the stages
  • Trails being available once if the player who picked them leaves
Porting progress:
  • Resizing the map for tf2 *DONE*
  • Add a way from stage 1 back to the spawn area *DONE*
  • Implement the cubic models at the start of each stage.
  • Fix stage 10 start boost *DONE*
  • Implement the soundscapes *DONE*
  • Make the white dev texture emit white light *DONE*
  • Fix the trails. *DONE* (trigger_look is not a thing, to get the trail, you have to shoot or press +use. You can grab them as many times as you want).
  • Fix Bonus 1 slanted bhops *DONE*
  • Fix the bonus 2 ramps being rampglitch friendly (the cause is unknown so far)
  • Fix the ending scene so the circle accelerate and decelerate like in css *DONE* (Huge discovery for tf2 mapping: you can get func_rotating to work in tf2! I myself can't believe it but I guess it makes sense in some way. I'll explain it in the release post)
final version:
  • Ported the map from nyro's .vmf hammer map file from counter-strike source for maximum accuracy on the port (thank you nyro).
  • Resized the map porperly for the team fortress 2 player model proportions; uncrouched as nyro wished his map to be ported.
  • Implemented the failing floating model cage at the start of each stage.
  • Made the white texture on the start floor emit light radiation (thank you nyro for giving me the light value of it).
  • Changed the skybox of the map to a full black one, so if you happen to turn it off using r_3dsky 0, you will just see pitch black like if the crossing lines were just disabled instead of the default sky_day01_01 skybox.
  • Fixed the spawn camera no working in spectator team.
  • Added func_respawnroom that cover all the start room area, allowing you to respawn without having to suicide.
  • Implemented the soundscapes that were missing in the previous ports of this map.
  • Many trigger_push are implemented on the current version on the server that are not inside the original map, nor in this new port.
  • Changed the trail aquirement mechanism. Now when you get to the trail room, a message displays telling you to shoot or press +use to keep the trail. The teleport destination is surrounded with a button, so pressing any of the previous input results in you getting the trail. You can grab as many trail as you want, not only you and all the trails at the same time.
  • Fixed the point_servercommand entity so it now changes the settings when the map starts.
  • Added a way back to spawn from stage 1 for map design conveniency (with the approval of nyro). You get teleported to the tier 1 hub of the spawn from the ceiling with a smooth and seemless transition.
    Before:
    After:
  • Changed some func_detail walls to regular world brush in order to prevent the disgustng light bleeding effects to occur in some places I did spot. This has for effect to make the lighting look cleaner :
    Before:
    After:
    Before:
    After:
  • Remade the model of the stage 9 cone ramp so it looks cleaner.
    Before:
    After:
  • Fixed stage 10 start.
  • Remade s14 second ramp in order to fix the rampglitch happening on the left side.
  • Made the bonus 2 ramp less glitchy by splitting the playerclip in 3 parts instead of having it stretch on 30000 units. its not perfect, but at least its more reliable.
  • Re-made the 3dskybox models in order to improve game performances with the help of nyro.
    Before:
    After:
  • Fixed the ending rings so they rotate with smooth acceleration and deceleration.
  • Fixed the ending showing in a loop fade in and out purple screen.
  • The monitors at the ending will show black as they is no way to get point_camera entities to work in tf2, nor to fake them accuratly them without having to pack with the map 10GB of animated textures files.
  • Made the button at the end shootable as well as usable.
  • Did not implement the Resurfed timer trigger inside the map. I am unable to because I cannot put one more brushes inside the map.
surf_sinsane_tf2 DONE
Spoiler
  • Resized the map, now each part is normally completable.
  • Re-aligned the textures on some ramps so they look even smoother
  • A lot of optimization has been done to make the player not load most of the map at once when playing it
  • Fixed the slanted bhop after the first ramp, but not the one at the bottom of the bonus because I did not figure out how much speed it gives yet (assuming the bhop itself is doable).
  • Made the stairs at the exit the sandman stage and at the entrance of the legendary stage slideable so you don't get stuck when bhopping them.
  • Implemented a linear/staged mode toggle at the door below the start platform. Each fail resets your timer, then teleport you inside the map accordingly to your mode and position. Since you need all the checkpoints in order to have a valid map run, you have to beat the map no-fail regardless.
  • Implemented Resurfed timer triggers in the map.
surf_akai_njv DONE
Spoiler
  • The map is very frustrating to speedrun because of the first section and the fact that you need to go through small doors to continue.
  • Sometimes you can get to the boost after the first ramp fast, sometimes you don't. Something has to be done to this transition (I'll probably set the start of the map there).
changes from _test1:
  • Kept as many element from the original map as possible.
  • Modified the layout of the end of stage 1 so the end platform teleports you to stage 2 as soon as you land in it.
  • Removed the collision from the lamps. Please tell me if that is a good thing.
  • Removed the invisible wall blocking the way to the ramp in the middle where both sides meet. Please tell me if that ruins the concept to your eyes.
  • Lowered the triggers that teleport you so they are are ground level.
changes from _test2:
  • Removed the spawns, jail, code and secret mail areas as it was too confusing for people, but also because I have been said that in _njv, the jail cannot be kept.
  • Removed most of the scenery at the end of stage 1 to make it more clear that to go to stage 2, you just need to land on the final platform. I made the trigger stick out buy 1 units so if you don't exactly land on the platform, you still get teleported to the next level.
  • Removed the telehop exploit at the start of stage 2.
  • Removed unnecessary playerclip walls surrounding the paltforms of the end platforms of stage 2.
  • Improved the map redering at spawn so you unload the start areas as soon as possible for better framerates.[/list1]

caracteristics of the final release:
    • Removed the spawns, jail, code and secret mail areas.
    • Removed most of the scenery at the end of stage 1 to make it more clear that to go to stage 2, you just need to land on the final platform.
    • Removed the collision from the lamps.
    • Removed the invisible wall blocking the way to the ramp in the middle where both sides meet. Please tell me if that ruins the concept to your eyes.
    • Removed unnecessary playerclip walls surrounding the paltforms of the end platforms of stage 2.
    • Lowered the triggers that teleport you so they are are ground level.
    • Improved the map redering at spawn so you unload the start areas as soon as possible for better framerates.
    • Added the resurfed timer triggers.
surf_beginner DONE
Spoiler
  • The stage 4 shortcut is way harder in team fortress 2 than it is in counter strike source
  • The stage 5 strafe is a bit too dark to clearly see where the border of the walls are
Content of the _fix:
  • Resized for crouched tf2 models.
  • Changed the hud_hint texts with game_text one so it does not get hidden by the !panel menu of the Resurfed timer. I also changed the display of them so each stage shows once for each player so it doesn't spam when running the map repeatively (Thank you not_a_zombie for the great suggestion! :D ).
  • Added a few lights on the stage 5 dark strafing part in order for players to see better what is a wall and what is not.
  • Optimized the map.
  • Made the secret trail respawn 10 seconds after someone picks it up.
  • Added a starting camera in the spectator team.
  • Added resurfed timer triggers.
surf_fast DONE
Spoiler
  • The end antigrav push on s4 does not work all the time
  • You need to crouch in order to fit inside the first stage 4 antigrav track
  • You need to bhop the start of the loop on s4 because the ground friction is too high in tf2 (I can't think of any workaround at this moment though)
  • When your gravity is set to -1, the only way in the map to reset it is to go through the stage 4 circuit again
  • The bonus 1 bhop hardly gives boost when being bhopped, and is also very crouchboost friendly
  • The bonus 2 boost makes it to the second red zone drops you into the void between the platforms. I think some adjustment should be done for it to be completable and fun for everyone.
  • The spawn should also reset the boost filters of stage 1 so you don't have to fail stage 1 first when restarting.
  • A !teleport start boost could be handy for the stage 1 start
_test1:
  • The coop level "Sonic Heroes" is now completable and in fact pretty enjoyable to play wtih friends.
  • Fixed any boost based entity in the map so they work properly without being exploitable.
  • The start of the loop on stage 4 is now slideable, but not always. I think it might be caused by small variations in speed and angle you have when hitting it. If you hold bhop its fine though.
  • Optimized the map's way of rendering visible areas.
  • Made each start and end zone reset the player's filter and his gravity to avoid him getting stuck or not being able to go through parts of some surf.
_test2
  • Built the cubemaps. They were not built in css, nor in tf2, but I was just curious to see how they would look like.
  • Added a teleport location at the start of stage 1 that gives you speed directly in order to save time for speedrunners, but also to be able to set a !teleport location in the future. Thanks to not_a_zombie for telling me about the command "AddOuput BaseVelocity xspeed yspeed zspeed as I would never have guess this was a thing.
  • Changed the specator camera default position so it follows the ring at the end of the last stage.
  • Fixed the cooperative bonus with Sonic no more being too easy and Knuckles no more being impossible. Tails indoor part has its fail cage moved so it doesn't get in the way when bhopping.
_test3:
  • Replaced all the cubemaps with a black one so there is no reflections at all (the ones of the map looked bad and weren't included at the end).
  • (Hopefully) Fixed the boost at spawn not consistently boosting the player.
  • Fixed the pillars on the first Stage 4 slide not being solid at all (I am suprised no one noticed).
  • I dont know the science between upward slides yet (I plan to do TAS experiements on that eventually), so in order to be sure you will slide the loop, it is safe to hold jump just in case it makes you walk instead of slide.
  • Fixed the ending antigravity slide betraying you and letting you fall through occasionaly.
  • Fixed the .wav sound for the ending spinning ring so its sound loops.
  • Fixed the fog in bonus 1 flickering when landing on the ground.
  • Fixed the last part of the knuckles coop bonus not being completable in Team fotress 2.
_test4:
  • Fixed the boost platform at spawn not giving speed consistently at all for real (I forgot I still had that big trigger at spawn that resets your filter to default in case you suicide, adding a delay to that output solved the issue).
  • Fixed the fog flickering in the bonus for real (the only change required to fix it didn't save on test3 for some reason).
  • Moved the start timer trigger of stage 3 so you can't get stopped when using the boost.
  • Changed the starting camera in spec so it doesn't follow the rotating ending ring anymore (spun way too fast to be enjoyable to watch even for surf_"fast").
Content of the _fix:
  • Optimized the map's way of rendering visible areas.
  • Made each start and end zone reset the player's filter and his gravity to avoid him getting stuck or not being able to go through parts of some surf.
  • The coop level "Sonic Heroes" is now completable and in fact pretty enjoyable to play wtih friends.
  • Fixed any boost based entity in the map so they work properly without being exploitable.
  • Added a teleport location at the start of stage 1 that gives you speed directly in order to save time for speedrunners, but also to be able to set a !teleport location in the future. Thanks to not_a_zombie for telling me about the command "AddOuput BaseVelocity xspeed yspeed zspeed as I would never have guess this was a thing.
  • Added a playerclip slanted on the ceiling of the stage 1 shortcut so you never have to be afraid about hitting your head on an invisible obstacle.
  • The start of the loop on stage 4 is now slideable, but not always. I think it might be caused by small variations in speed and angle you have when hitting it. I dont know the science between upward slides yet (I plan to do TAS experiements on that eventually), so in order to be sure you will slide the loop, it is safe to hold jump just in case it makes you walk instead of slide.
  • Changed the specator camera default position so it looks at the ending of last stage area.
  • Fixed the ending antigravity slide betraying you and letting you fall through occasionaly.
  • Fixed the .wav sound for the ending spinning ring so its sound loops.
  • Fixed the fog in bonus 1 flickering when landing on the ground.
surf_lithium2 DONE
Spoiler
  • The slanted bhops are not reliable
  • The cubemaps are not built properly
  • Telehops should be removed
  • Stage 4 spin got mysteriously mirrored to spin left instead of right
  • Not enough resizing

_test1:
  • The stage 4 spin now spins in the right way (to the right indeed).
  • Made the slanted bhop consistent using the filtered flat platform with a boost method.
  • Implemented in the map the original reflections the textures in css had on this map.
  • Changed the start of the stage so you can't telehop anymore.
  • Added on the first ramp of stage 1 and stage 5 a bost equivalent to the speed you would have by telehopping.
  • Fixed the spec camera not showing the credits by default.
  • I had to replace a lot of the arches with custom models in order to workaround the MAP_MAX_PLANES issue with vrad. The result is seemless.
  • Added resurfed timer triggers so you can't telehop anymore on any stage.
_test2:
  • Adjusted the delay on the filters for the slanted bhops so thay hopefully now give speed consisently in multiplayer.
  • Made the bottom beam of the Stage 3 end door not solid so you can't get stopped when trying to bhop to it.
  • Lowered the resolution of the full black cubemap built in the map.
_test3:
  • Fixed an exploit wih the low gravity jail not resetting your gravity when going out of it.
  • Made the ending buttons reset after a while so you can press them again.
  • Made the beam on the ground in from of the s2 slanted bhop not bhoppable (as the triggers were lowered there, thank you not_a_zombie for pointing that out).
  • Nodrawed most of the unexposed surfaces to optimize.
Content of the _fix:
  • Nodrawed most of the unexposed surfaces to optimize.
  • The stage 4 spin now spins in the right way (to the right indeed).
  • Made the slanted bhop consistent using the filtered flat platform with a boost method.
  • Implemented in the map the original reflections the textures in css had on this map.
  • Changed the start of the stages so you can't telehop anymore.
  • Added on the first ramp of stage 1 and stage 5 a boost equivalent to the speed you would have by telehopping. (times might need to be adjusted accordingly)
  • Fixed the spec camera not showing the credits by default.
  • I had to replace a lot of the arches with custom models in order to workaround the MAP_MAX_PLANES issue with vrad. The result is seemless.
  • Added resurfed timer triggers so you can't telehop anymore on any stage.
surf_legendary DONE
Spoiler
  • Stage 2 boost at start can be crouch boosted.
  • The stage 3 to stage 4 telehop is removed. It should be possible like in css I think.
  • The ramps on stage 4 are segmented, and have spots at which you will always bump off instead of just surfing the ramp.
  • There is a ramp in stage 5 that is moving back and forth. Maybe its not supposed to be like that, I'll see when I'll start working on it.
  • Stage 7 last part is too easy?

_test1:
  • Lowered some critical trigger placement so you no more can be teleported to the start unless you actually deserve it.
  • The stage 2 start boost no more can be crouch boosted.
  • Added playerclip walls on stage 3 start so you can no more climb the railings in order to use them as a prophop.
  • Stage 4 cannot be telehopped in this version as I think it should stay like this, especialy if KSF made the effort to remove it afterall (probably due to some complaints from the players who lived with it).
  • Stage 4 ramps are no more getting the player stuck.
  • Stage 5 boost can't be crouchboosted anymore.
  • Stage 5 rail ramp doesn't go back and forth anymore.
  • Stage 7 is now accurately as difficult as in css (from what i tested, its your job to confirm me if its true).
  • Cubemaps reflections are now implemented in the map like they used to be in css.
  • Had to turn the ring ramp on stage 7 into a model in order to workaround the Map_Max_Planes compiling issue. (the decompiler didn't put together a lot of split faces in the map).
_test2:
  • Fixed a nodraw exposed bit on the start platform of Stage 4.
  • Lowered forgotten triggers on Stage 4.
  • Moved the lamps around the first ramp of Stage 4 a bit away from the ramp so you don't bump into them
  • Changed the teleport location of Stage 3 into Stage 4 so you effectively can't telehop (before you actually could sometimes).
  • Made the border of the water bhops of Stage 5 not solid so you don't get stopped when attempting to bhop them.
  • Improved the look of the glass of Stage 7.
  • (hopefully) Made the ring ramp smoother on Stage 7.
_test3:
  • All the glass textured should now have reflections
  • Simplified some geometry and nodraw the water surfaces for optimization.
  • Remade the ring's collision again. This time I think its really good.
  • Fixed the sign at spawn saying "Japetheafe" instead of "Japetheape". (thanks kelao for pointing that out).
Content of the _fix:
  • Lowered some critical trigger placement so you no more can be teleported to the start unless you actually deserve it.
  • The stage 2 start boost no more can be crouch boosted.
  • Added playerclip walls on stage 3 start so you can no more climb the railings in order to use them as a prophop.
  • Stage 4 cannot be telehopped in this version as I think it should stay like this, especialy if KSF made the effort to remove it afterall (probably due to some complaints from the players who lived with it since the map was added).
  • Stage 4 ramps are no more getting the player stuck.
  • Stage 5 boost can't be crouchboosted anymore.
  • Stage 5 rail ramp doesn't go back and forth anymore and is stopped centered (Thanks to Insomnia for the suggestion).
  • Made the border of the water bhops of Stage 5 not solid so you don't get stopped when attempting to bhop them.
  • Stage 7 is now accurately as difficult as in css.
  • Cubemaps reflections are now implemented in the map like they used to be in css.
  • Had to turn the ring ramp on stage 7 into a model in order to workaround the Map_Max_Planes compiling issue. (the decompiler didn't put together a lot of split faces in the map).
[/list]
surf_commune_too_beta5 DONE
Spoiler
things wrong spotted so far:
  • There is a wall on stage 2 that breaks after pressing a lever in the map, giving an advantage to the players who don't have to go that high above the wall.
  • The timer trigger start of stage 5 sometimes stops you due to a placement too close to the boost.
  • The entrance to stage 6 is very far from the edge of the start platform, meaning you have to walk for more than 2 seconds.
  • The boosts on stage 6 can be crouch-boosted.
  • The textures the ramps of stage 7 are only visible at close range, making it random to anticipate them. Not even speaking of the fact that they can't be seen if you used a very low graphic configuration in-game.
  • The edge of the walls of the skybox of stage 7 are not clearly defined.
final release:
  • Ported the map from the team fortress 2 map file.
  • Changed the elements on stage 1 and stage 2 so the stage is by default in its easier configuration.
  • Made most of the torches on stage 6 models in order to work around the "max_map_planes" compiling limitation. The result is seemless.
  • Packed in the map the fire particles and the file telling the map to use it in order to make the fire on the torches of stage 3 show properly.
  • Moved the start trigger of stage 5 a bit back so you don't get stopped anymore when trying to use the boost.
  • Changed the end of stage 5 so it teleports you to the forward location of stage 6 instead of the back.
  • Made the boost on stage 6 filtered so you can't crouch-boost it.
  • The end of stage 6 is in the basesement of the statue at the end. I made the statue not solid do its easier to enter next stage.
  • Changed the textures on the ramps of stage 7 so they don't fade out.
  • Added lasers on stage 7 in order to highlight the limits if the skybox walls and the triggers to the player.
surf_skill8 DONE
Spoiler
  • Some obstacles are missing in the map due to the porter mistakes (and the bottom platform at the end is the one that counts instead of jusst the top one). The original map uses a difficulty system made with 3 buttons: easy, medium (our version) and hard. If you want to have the map only playable in one mode in tf2, you need to remove all the things of the other modes, which can be tricky sometimes. Sometimes a wall is used for the easy mode, but not medium, sometimes the medium mode and hard mode, but not the easy mode, etc. When I will work on this map, i will port all the three separated versions at once.
  • The landmark teleport through the map has a big trigger and isn't clear as to where it starts and where it stops. Lasers are required.
  • Ported the map from the counter-strike source map file.
  • Placed back in the medium version the obstacles we had missing in the current version on resurfed. Since these are enabled and disabled using a button to switch the map into easy, medium and hard mode, I figured I would extract them and port all the three versions at once.
  • Resized the map properly, and especialy the spawn so you don't bang your head in the ceiling when attempting to jump for the first ramp.
  • Added lasers to highlight the trigger that teleports you in the second area, but also the end trigger (that never was at the bottom plate by the way, I don't know how it got there).
  • Fixed some triggers that didn't teleport anything because they didn't have their "clients" flag checked.
  • Removed the collisions from the oranges arrows in the map.
  • Fixed the glass textures around the second and third ramp flickering
  • Added Resurfed timer start zone and end zone triggers in the maps, the checkpoints should stay as they are in the current surf_skill8 for all 3 maps.
  • Removed the fall damage noise from the maps.
surf_ny_advance_b5 DONE
Spoiler
Issues spotted so far by the community:
  • The map was ported at the time when there was no functional bunnyhop plugin available to tf2, resulting in bhop platforms having a boost on it so you can just stop and jump from them and still complete the map. This is no more required today though and in fact causes issues with the design of the map, especialy when some of them are not reliable.
  • The white textures used for the signs and the lamps are missing.
final release
  • Fixed the missing white textures.
  • Fixed the bhops platforms not being as intented.
  • Fixed the boost on stage 5 being exploitable.
surf_presmon DONE
Spoiler
  • The telehop between stage 1 and stage 2 is unreliable.
  • You spawn at the very back of stage 3, resulting in the strategy of falling off the back then get teleported to the front of stage 3 faster than actually walking all the way to the front.
  • The stage 4 start can be telehopped upward, resulting in being able to reach the first ramp without landing on the start of the stage in an unreliable way.
  • The resizing of stage 4 is too tight for tf2 player dimensions.
  • The telehopping of stage 5 and the positionning of the timer start for the stage makes it so times are exploitable.
  • The triggers are too high at some parts of the map.
final release
  • Resized the map.
  • Lowered the triggers
  • Removed the telehop from stage 1 to stage 2.
  • Set the destination of the ending of stage 2 to the forward destination of stage 3.
  • Made the boost of stage 3 not crouch-boostable.
surf_voteforthisone DONE
Spoiler
  • The map has missing rooms and detailing elements taken out probably in order to let the map compile. The map should be restored to what its player experience is like in counter-stirke: source.
  • The boost on stage 2 is exploitable.
_test1:
  • Ported the map again from the counter-strike: source file.
  • Lowered the triggers
  • Made the stage 2 start no-jump and no-crouch to prevent boost exploits.
  • Added the resurfed timer triggers to the map.
final release:
  • Ported the map again from the counter-strike: source file.
  • Lowered the triggers
  • Made the stage 2 start no-jump and no-crouch to prevent boost exploits.
  • Placed no-jump triggers on the bonus 2 two first ramps in order to prevent bhop exploits.
  • Added the resurfed timer triggers to the map.
surf_heaven_njv DONE
Spoiler
  • The map has missing rooms and detailing elements, as well as most of the obstacles on stage 5 taken out probably in order to let the map compile (for example the spawn). The map should be restored to what its player experience is like in counter-stirke: source.
release
  • Stage 5 had a missing obstacle above last ramp, now it is fixed.
  • Added the resurfed timer triggers.
surf_happyhands4 DONE
Spoiler
  • The map has missing rooms and detailing elements taken out probably in order to let the map compile (for example the spawn). The map should be restored to what its player experience is like in counter-stirke: source.
  • The bonus 1 has missing textures
release
  • Re-added the spawn room, which is a swiming pool room.
  • Fixed the missing textures on bonus 1.
bhop_greenshit DONE
Spoiler
  • The booster tunnel seems too tight for tf2
  • The block lights at the pits are showing the skybox
_test1
  • Resized the boosting tunnel and various other areas.
  • Fixed the pits showing skybox texture instead of darkness.
  • Fixed the lighting artifact on the big grey platforms near the ending.
  • Added a trigger_teleport in the hole on the left before the bridge, because you can get trapped in there if you fall.
  • Stole the menu_photos from Laure's port, which were not displaying because of a naming mismatch.
bhop_arcane_v1 _test1 released
Spoiler
  • The ice skating parts on stage 5 are too bouncy to be reliable
  • The grass sprites in the tunnels of stage 2 are missing in the current tf2 port.
_test1
  • Resized the map porperly for the team fortress 2 player model proportions (grid stage had various spots made easier than they should have been).
  • Tunnels of stage 2 have grass props now!
  • The iceskating parts of stage 5 now work consistently.
  • Made all the 1 units tall triggers 2 units in order to prevent bouncehop exploits
  • Switched the room where you get teleported in order to get stopped before getting sent back to the level you failed from getting you stuck inside a playerclip for a split second (which sometimes lets you keep your speed) to being trapped inside a tiny hollow room of which you hit the sides of. You can still warps stages around if you noclip too fast though! ^^
  • I decided to re-add the lasers on the clips, but not in the tree room of stage 2, since I figured people have access to showtriggers now and that this skip is pretty well known now.
  • Added a bonus1_start trigger in front of the doors behind spawn teleporting to various stages. That way when you go through them, you have no chance of getting a stage completion time.
  • All the rotating entities of the map now spin forever without getting stopped.
  • Added fallbacks for the ice and waterfall refract textures to allow people running mat_dxlevel 80 to run the map in good conditions.
bhop_challenjour _test1 released
Spoiler
  • It was my first csgo port with stock csgo elements in it, and I was unaware that models didn't have dx80 files in csgo. This makes players not see them at best, or even crash on load for some of them. Putting the files back should be enough.
  • The cubemap reflections on the metal beams on diamond can be improved since I discovered how to convert them in other ways than splitting a printscreen of mat_texture_list 1.
  • Ah, and while I'm at it, I added a small delay on the basevelocity boosts to make them reliable, but it makes people jump lower. Bhop plugin has since been improved to no more require that, and a stripper config is there to replace them. Fixing them natively would be better though.
  • If you bhop really well in the 10 seconds that you are out of the "boost" detour, you can actually escape the trigger that teleports you to the end of the map. I should make it bigger to give players no chance of getting frustrated.
test1:
  • Using a complicated setup using two trigger_catapults, a multiple and a filer, I manage to replicate the behavior of a trigger preventing you from telehopping backwards. Now if you fly backward into the previous level, you will be stopped before falling off (you can still walk against it pretty easily if you are determined to go back)
  • Fixed my mistake of not adding dx80 files for the csgo models (which don't require them in csgo). Now no one should be crashing when loading the map, or not seeing the props on the bonus. I also created a fallback texture for the refract window on the emerald and platinum stages.
  • To compensate for the bhop plugin unraliability, I added a 0.03 seconds delay on the basevelocity triggers that you bhop. This had for effect to reduce the height you peak at, and in fact makes one big shortcut of the map impossible. This has been fixed on the original port using a stripper config, but this version doesn't require one to get them to work as they are not set to push instantly like it is supposed to.
  • I changed the metal cubemap texture with a propper one that doesn't come from cropped csgo print screens of mat_texture_list 1, which I found out how to convert months after releasing this port (when doing surf_summer).
  • Before, when you get teleported back to the beginning of the map after completing the troll course, you could potentially bhop backwards into the map fast enough to be out of range of the trigger_teleport supposed to send you back to the end after a delay of 4 seconds. Now I made it so big that you normally can't risk being disapointed.
  • Times should remain the same, as no speedrunning or completion elements had been modified (except for the accidentally telehopping backward some levels part).

Again, feel free to post anything you find apropriate below, from suggesting a map to fix, to telling me that what I am doing is absolutely terrible and that I should stop destroying more maps right now before its too late.

Keep also in mind that if a map you suggest can be fixed through Stripper, I will not spend hours in hammer porting it again if someone else can just fix it directly. But since you cannot really know what can be fixed using stripper and what can not, just post whatever here and I will see it. You can also just suggest more issues to fix on a map already listed so I am sure not to miss anything when I will work on it.

Even though this topic is not for a map release itself, I had the confirmation from several forum user that this place was an apropriate place to post this information and suggestion topic. I hope you will find it useful.
Last edited by Shadow Sheep on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 59 times in total.
Nastybutler

Re: Maps I plan to fix (feel free to suggest)

Post by Nastybutler » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:26 am

The thing about surf_fast, is that the bonuses require an entity that doesn't work in tf2, which is the 'PlayerSpeed' command...I have no clue how to make a workaround for this in tf2.
[Owner] -DB!- tordana: meet me in the playground after school
specialoo

Post by specialoo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:02 am

surf_sh was shitty choice of mine to port, but i don't think it needed more resizing.
perhaps fixing the lighting a bit as well as the bhop-boost on s2.

oh and fixing the end of s4 (last stage) so that the trigger is at the door instead of the whole platform.
specialoo

Post by specialoo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:03 am

oh and i used to like leaving jails in maps just cause.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:24 am

Hey ! thank you for the attention you bring to this topic ! :P
Nastybutler wrote:The thing about surf_fast, is that the bonuses require an entity that doesn't work in tf2, which is the 'PlayerSpeed' command...I have no clue how to make a workaround for this in tf2.
I don't think its too big of an issue to be honest. The thing I want to focus on is making the times consistent on it so everyone can play on the same ground. I don't know how having the speed mod higher would influence the play of this bonus afterall, but I never felt something was missing when I was playing it when the boosters worked.
specialoo wrote:surf_sh was shitty choice of mine to port, but i don't think it needed more resizing.
perhaps fixing the lighting a bit as well as the bhop-boost on s2.

oh and fixing the end of s4 (last stage) so that the trigger is at the door instead of the whole platform.

oh and i used to like leaving jails in maps just cause.
I do not think it was a bad choice to be honest. The map just needs a few adjustements, thats all. Don't feel bad about porting it, I actually would probably never have known about that map if you did not port it first.

About resizing, thats were my point of view differs from a lot of map porters. I think that the map should be made in tf2 so, everywhere you can place the css player entity in the map so it does not collide with objects, the tf2 player should not collide either if placed in the same spot. Since the tf2 players are 20 units taller and 16 units wider, I adjust all the obstacles that make the chalenge of the map (so rarely outside walls encasing the level, unless the level design is made so avoid them is a chalenge too). That way, the map play both the same in both games. Now, you might think that this map does not need resizements because the differences might be barely noticeable. But still I want things consistent and equivalent between both games regardless.

The lighting did not seem broken, but I might increase it at some places where I find its really too dark.

The bhop boost on s2 is planned to be fixed, as well as the slanted bhops.

For the end of stage 4, should I put a slanted player clip above the stairs to prevent sideway bhopping when landing on them or not?

For the jail, I am sorry to have put that. I was convinced the map was called surf_sh_njv, and that the jail was removed from the original port, so i was about to remove it as well for the sake of consitency. But since thats not the case, I will leave it there.

(I am editing the first post)
not_a_zombie

Post by not_a_zombie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:41 pm

2 more maps that should be fixed are amplitude_encore (triggers,player clip separating teams at spawn should be removed) and nostromo (teleport destinations). Also it seems that amplitude_apex teleports everyone to a location at certain times, but I think that's something that can be/used to be fixed with stripper, so no need to fix it in hammer.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:45 am

not_a_zombie wrote:2 more maps that should be fixed are amplitude_encore (triggers,player clip separating teams at spawn should be removed) and nostromo (teleport destinations).
Thats a good idea!

On amplitude_encore, everywhere you do not get sent back to start (or normally jail) is where you are supposed to be killed by a trigger_hurt. In godmode though, you do not die.

To my eyes, surf_nostromo, so does milkyway, but since they were fixed on the server using stipper, they are to my eyes less urgent than the rest. But I plan to work on them at some point.

Thank you not_a_zombie for telling me about these maps, I am adding them to the list.

Edit: Since the order of which I will work on maps will be from up to down, feel free to tell me if a map in the list is more urgent to fix than an other and why so I can treat it accordingly.
tordana
Site Admin

Post by tordana » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:31 pm

Teleport destinations not being a unit off the ground have nothing to do with the map, it's all in the timer, and can be easily fixed without requiring a re-port.

Maps like nostromo and milkyway where the only issues are resizing being a little off I'm not sure need re-ports as long as they are completable and reasonably close to original difficulty (which I think both of those are).
Donkey

Post by Donkey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 am

Surf_Simpsons?

Needing to use the buttons to open the shortcuts is horrible. the bin sc is extremely hard to get into and needs to be resized a tiny bit. The stage 10 shortcut shouldn't be a thing and on stage 5 the platforms should stay still imo.
Shadow Sheep

Post by Shadow Sheep » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:44 am

tordana wrote:Teleport destinations not being a unit off the ground have nothing to do with the map, it's all in the timer, and can be easily fixed without requiring a re-port.

Maps like nostromo and milkyway where the only issues are resizing being a little off I'm not sure need re-ports as long as they are completable and reasonably close to original difficulty (which I think both of those are).
If teleport destinations are all in the timers, then how can you explain that you are able to replicate the "getting stuck in the ground" issue offline when no timer is running? There is a specific hammer entity used to determine where in the map someone should be moved when hitting a trigger_teleport, and when putting it right at ground level instead of one or more unit above, you will clip it for a moment. Correct me if I am wrong tordana though, as maybe you meant that maps like tundra and desolate were fully ported using Stripper and that all the teleporting mechanics have been redone that way, and placed slightly too low at ground level (even though is works offline).

Anyway, if you can go ahead and fix them right away, that would be nice! ;)
Donkey wrote:Surf_Simpsons?

Needing to use the buttons to open the shortcuts is horrible. the bin sc is extremely hard to get into and needs to be resized a tiny bit. The stage 10 shortcut shouldn't be a thing and on stage 5 the platforms should stay still imo.
Oh man, yeah that map definetly needs a fix. Thank you fo telling me about it, as that one was out of my mind, and aparently out of the ones of the people I ask everyday about maps needing a fix.

I will add it to the list.